INOVINTA’s focus is to foster and attract innovative ideas that engage technology, engineering, manufacturing, marketing and distribution to create products and services that will fundamentally change and improve industrial processes. Our goal is to develop breakthrough products and services that deliver efficiencies and cost-reductions in processes and enhances safety and sustainability.
Our Research and Development team is made up of talented, creative problem solvers, developers, and visionaries. A combination of strong client focus, industrial trouble-shooting skills, and a drive to continuously improve safety, predictability, and profitability in mining makes our team tick.
INOVINTA is a growing organization that is focused on recruiting and retaining top-caliber talent and we are currently seeking a bright, talented, and ambitious leader for the following role:
Manager, Research & Development and Commercialization
The Manager, Research & Development and Commercialization, manages and directs the research and development division. This critical role oversees research and development of INOVINTA’s product portfolio and participates where applicable in commercialization activities. The R&D and Commercialization Manager assesses the scope of research projects and develops accurate implementation plans. They ensure that division milestones and goals are met, adhering to approved budgets and they are responsible for overseeing, leading, and maintaining all human resource requirements for the R&D team.
Responsible for the overall project management for the Research and Development Division.
- Acquire resources and coordinate team efforts to deliver projects according to the product roadmap.
- Direct and manage project development including project scope, goals, and deliverables.
- Lead the preparation of project-costing estimations.
- Draft and submit budget proposals and project deadlines.
- Ensure all R&D work (documenting, engineering, architecting, designing, coding, testing etc.) is completed following best practices and standards.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential risks and devise contingency plans.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members.
- Define project success criteria and communicate this to the project team.
- Research, obtain and manage government and private funding for projects. Maintain relationships with funding organizations.
- Work closely with subject matter experts to assist with product feature prioritization.
- Ensure resource plans are in place for the R&D Division.
- Work with the resource team to ensure all staff are appropriately trained and available as needed.
- Implement talent management strategies for the R&D Division.
- Problem resolution, scope determination, and coordination of multiple stakeholders and partners’ interests are an integral component of this role.
- Ensure client relationships are nurtured and maintained.
- Develop innovative strategies to accelerate the technology development processes to leverage opportunities to get to market quickly.
- Understand and embrace the Agile Project Management Methodology and lead the creation of Agile teams for technology development.
Intellectual Property Management
Accountable for the IP Management for INOVINTA LTD.
- Ensure IP matters are updated and reviewed on a yearly basis.
- Monitor legal/patent contractor performance.
- Keep the Executive team informed and manage IP risks appropriately.
Systems and Business Processes
Responsible for contributing to organizational improvement on an on-going basis.
- Ensure all tasks are driven and executed following appropriate workflows that ensure quality of delivery (on time, on budget and on spec).
- Develop and document key processes within the INOVINTA Quality Management System QMS. Ensure processes clearly identify the deliverables and Key Performance Indicators that measure overall objectives.
- Implement auditing processes that are in alignment with ISO certification requirements.
Administration and Personnel Management
Responsible for long-term resourcing needs and developing a human resource plan.
- Work closely with Human Resources in the recruitment and hiring of new support staff.
- Provide leadership for the day-to-day operations of the team while maintaining focus on the company’s strategic goals.
- Manage vacation, bank time, overtime and sick time requests and complete scheduled timesheet approvals for direct reports.
- Provide coaching and mentoring through frequent employee one-on-ones and the creation of professional development/goal setting plans as well as develop training plans.
- Promptly deal with performance issues and disciplinary matters.
- Implement talent management strategies for the R&D division including employee retention and workforce and succession planning.
Personal Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
- 5+ years of leadership experience as a technical and strategic manager.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and provide leadership regarding technology and product development matters is essential.
- A broad awareness and understanding of a variety of technologies across the disciplines of mechanical, electrical and software design, development, and implementation.
- Understanding of software development fundamentals, engineering design principals, and strong IT systems integration experience.
- Understanding of industrial process control technologies such as DCS, PLC, HMI, and industrial networking.
- The ability to provide guidance regarding technology selection and application and appropriate insights into testing methodologies across a wide range of products and technologies is advantageous.
- Experience and understanding of product development and standard design procedures is advantageous.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile/Kanban methodologies.
- Business development and project delivery experience in an industrial environment.
- Business experience within the relevant scientific and technological domains gained through collaboration with industry, academia, government, or other partnerships, demonstrating highly effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective problem solving, conflict resolution, time management, and troubleshooting skills.
- Exceptional project management and technical report writing skills.
- A refined writing, speaking and presentation capability in English is essential.
- Fluency or functional ability in other languages would be considered an asset, including Spanish, French and Portuguese.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
- Willing to travel.
- Demonstrated broad understanding of current and relevant scientific, technical, and business issues, and of organizational and external factors and trends that impact the R&D division’s success.
- Ability to direct and engage organizational capabilities and to effectively lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team, balancing revenue, and scientific-knowledge-generation activities.
- Significant knowledge of program and project management, strategic and operational planning.
- Significant ability to lead and inspire change while applying best practices in the management of human resources, finances, and projects, achieving ongoing efficiencies and improvements.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, to work cooperatively and effectively with a broad range of employees, colleagues, clients, and stakeholders.
INOVINTA offers a competitive salary and benefits package. We are proud of and continuously thrive to improve our employee culture, and value an equitable and balanced life/work approach.
We invite applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. INOVINTA offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of our career posting, please contact Human Resources at (705) 419-2620. All responses are appreciated and will be handled with strict confidence. Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted and candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.